Friday, March 12, 2010

Opera and Chocolate Taffy

Sorry it has been a couple weeks since my last update. My art class was kicking my butt with deadlines. But the last two weeks of baking have been so fun! I have been wanting to update but just haven’t had time.


So, two weeks ago we made Opera cake and Tiramisu. I ended up with Opera because of the type of thin layer cake that my team made a few weeks before that. Almond Biscuit Jaconde. YUM! It has mostly almond flour in it so I was able to eat it and not have very many allergy effects. It made me a little bit tired but I was so willing to deal with that!

Opera cake is built from bottom to top in this order: Biscuit Jaconde that has been slathered on the bottom with coating chocolate and hardened, then chocolate ganache, another layer of jaconde, coffee butter cream, another layer of jaconde, and then a smooth layer of coating chocolate that hardens on top. YUM! Some might switch the ganache and coffee butter cream depending on the look they want when it is cut. Let me tell you….that coffee butter cream is A-MAZ-ING! I don’t usually like that strong of a coffee flavor in my desserts but oh my was it good! My team got a big A for the day (I had an awesome partner) and a few compliments along the way which was very cool.

Last week we moved on to candy. YAY! I now feel I can make candies at home and not freak out. Haha My team made chocolate taffy. I ended up with a partner that was more eager to do the taffy than the puff dough we had to do first so I did much of the work by myself. Then when we got to the taffy he turned the sugar mixture on full flame and didn’t have a wooden spoon. YIKES! I rushed to get the spoon and we managed to save it and our taffy turned out pretty good in the end so I was totally fine with it all.

Next week we work with the puff dough. My team (unfortunately with the same person but hopefully he steps it up this time) will be making Lemon Bouchés. I am excited! Not something I can eat, but my Mom likes lemon so at least they will get eaten.


Tonight I worked on some cake balls a’ la Bakerella. So when I finish them tomorrow I will take pics and post. So far so good with them. They are chillin in the fridge overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment